There's a Wellness App for That
Updated: Jul 30, 2020
For me, wellness goes far beyond eating healthy and working out.
It’s allowing yourself to feel all emotions unapologetically; crying heavy tears and yelling like hell.
It’s about finding peace in solitude and in the unknown in whatever way you know how.
It’s about spirituality. About finding something to believe in that gives you hope.
It’s about drinking that glass of wine or having that extra cup of coffee because it tastes so delicious.
It’s feeding your soul with friendship, with laughter, with music, with sunshine, and constant sips of happiness.
It’s about tuning into your body and understanding what it needs in each new moment.
Sometimes though, seeking wellness can feel like it is out of reach and you find yourself wondering, “Where do I start?”
For that reason, I have created a list of my top 10 favorite wellness apps. They have helped me find a place to start, and continue to help me seek wellness in my daily life. I hope you find value in them too. Wishing you all the ease as you go on your own wellness journey.
My top 10 wellness apps:
1. Mealime – Meal planning can be a challenge, especially if you have specific dietary needs and desires. This app easily allows you to meal plan. You set up your profile with your dietary requests (i.e. gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, etc.) and it will provide a plethora of recipes from which you can choose. Once you line up your recipes for the week, it automatically creates a grocery list for you. This makes meal planning a breeze!
2. Down Dog – A dear friend recently showed this yoga app to me and it has been a GAME-CHANGER for my yoga practice. You choose the type of yoga you would like to practice, the skill level, the length, and you can even choose a “boost” that will target certain areas of the body that you want to work on. My favorite thing about this app is that it also allows you to choose the length of your savasana (up to 15 minutes!). This is a great reminder for me to practice mindfulness following each flow.
3. Womaze – This app is made for women! It is loaded with everything wellness for women including self-care tips, career motivation, mental health support, relationship help, and more. The best thing about this app is that it sends you daily inspirational quotes. They often pop up when you need to hear them the most. Today, the Womaze app told me to “release all timelines and take off the pressure.” Thanks for the gentle reminder Womaze!
4. RefGuide – This is my go-to for all things essential oils. It has become so useful when I am looking to treat various health and wellness conditions. It even provides guidance on the best ways to use and/or apply your oils. Whether you are new to essential oils or you are a long-time user this app will be your best friend.
5. Think Dirty – I feel like my journey to non-toxic living will be perpetual, but, this app has been an incredible resource in getting my family and I closer and closer to a healthier and safer lifestyle. This app allows you to look up various commercial skin care products and rates them by their number of clean ingredients. It even breaks down each ingredient in a product and tells you why it is considered either “clean,” “dirty,” or “half-and-half.” Please note, I think that this app is a stepping-stone, but not an end-all-be-all in terms of clean living. Please continue to do your research in understanding how your body responds to various ingredients.
6. All Trails – This one is for the nature lovers and adventure seekers. This app quickly allows you to find trails for any kind of activity. Whether you are seeking a quick hike with your pup, a challenging 14er, or a leisurely bike ride, this app is for you. It allows you to filter by your adventure-wants and provides excellent pictures and reviews of each trail from previous adventurers. Spending time in nature is one of the best things you can do for your mental and physical health. I encourage you to get outside knowing you have an app that does the heavy research for you!
7. FitOn – A friend told me about this app at the beginning of quarantine due to COVID-19. I was in panic mode wondering how I was going to get by without a gym. This app was the answer to my prayers. It has everything from a five-minute HIIT workout to barre and dance classes; yoga, meal plans, workouts with kids, and more. In addition, did I mention this app is FREE? Goodbye gym membership!
8. Headspace – People ask me all of the time “How do you meditate?” Well, here is my answer. I think meditation is a life-long journey, but this app is certainly an excellent place to start. It has timed guided meditation as well as “sleep casts” and “sleep radio” which have been so helpful with relaxing me before bed. So, take a deep breath, download this app now, and enjoy the beautiful benefits of mindfulness, rest, and perspective that it brings.
9. BetterHelp – This app is a virtual therapy and counseling service that allows you to speak with your counselor from the comfort of your home. This alleviates the awkward face-to-face interaction that can come when opening your heart to a stranger. I love it because it allows you to set up your own personal profile based on your counseling-needs and matches you with a counselor based on those needs. It also allows you to change your counselor at any time. To me, seeking therapy is one of the best things you can do for your mental health and what better way to seek it than from your own finger tips?
Click here for a discounted week of therapy! https://www.betterhelp.com/rpc/6a563bf51eaa17d9-1-12
10. QuoteCatalog – If you have met me, you know how much I love a good quote! This app is literally a catalog of quotes. I go to this app daily for inspiration, motivation, and even a good laugh. Like Womaze, this app also provides regular push notifications throughout your day. Today, I came across this quote: “Deep feelings always mean more than they are capable of saying.” (Albert Camus)
Happy app-ing friends!